Friday, June 3, 2011

Overload of work

We are at that time in spring when we have an overload of work and not enough time to fill it. I don't know what we would do if it was dry however. It is so wet here that I think we should start building an ark or at least buy a boat!!! The garden isn't planted, nor are the fields. We did manage to plant 88 hills of potatoes tow weeks ago but I think most of them rotted in the ground.
Two weeks ago or so I managed to pick wild mustard tops to make Vourves, which is a French delicacy. Mustard greens are an excellent source of many vitamins including vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), vitamin C, folate, and vitamin E. They are also an excellent source of the minerals manganese and calcium as well as dietary fiber. They are also a very good source of potassium, vitamin B6, protein, copper, phosphorus, iron, vitamin B2, and magnesium. Mustard greens are a good source of vitamin B1 and vitamin B3 (niacin). And I picked stinging nettle.




The mustard I boiled in salt water and then froze some. To prepare, I sauteed in butter with some garlic and then added a little lemon juice. They were very good. You pick them just before the flower buds open up. Yummmy!!!
Stinging nettle is also loaded with vitamins and minerals. You just pick off the tops anytime before they get more than a foot tall. We have lots of them growing here. Make sure you were gloves though. Once the nettle is cooked it loses it sting. This I just boil in salt water and use like spinach in quiches or whatever hot dish I make. If I am making soup I just add it in fresh if I have it fresh. I also save the water that I boil it in and use it in tea.
I also managed to find time to make a batch of dandelion wine. This is very time consuming to pick all of the blossoms but well worth it.
We have been busy putting up fence. We are putting up woven wire with an electric strand on the inside and barbwire on the top. We completed the lamb pen which is were they will be weaned but the grass is so high in there and I don't have the rest of the fencing done so all the sheep are in there but they have eaten most of it down already so we are trying to get the other pasture fence done. We have all of the wooden posts put in along the yard so today I am going to try to get wire up. We had one set back a huge cotton wood tree fell (2 of the three huge trunks) right where we were going to start putting in more posts. We cut on it one evening but still have more to go. This might take awhile.
It will be so nice to have the fencing done as this took up so much of my tie last year and this spring but once it is done I will have more time for other things.
We also rented out the main pasture to some beef cows in exchange for a calf this fall so we can start raising our own beef. So, that was another project to get that fence ready to go for them. That is just two strands of electric but the deer knock down and break it over the winter and their was some branches and stuff to clear.

2 comments:

  1. that is really cool. I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am going to get back into writing more posts again so stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete